August 29, 2007

How to get Vegetables in Your Kids

So, I'd love to hear what your tricks are for getting vegetables, or "green light" foods (as Dr. Sears calls them), in your kids.

I have a few staple ways. My kids will eat broccoli, zucchini, and sometimes baby carrots if they are steamed. But the key for us is shredded Parmesan (the kind you buy in a tub). They love it sprinkled over the top. So, I can throw veggies in my rice cooker/steamer thing... and make rice too and that seems to work here and there.

I read in a magazine recently that one mom has her kids see which vegetable is crunchier...and she encourages crunching sounds.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!
Margaret
Related Posts with Thumbnails

3 comments:

  1. My kids generally prefer raw veggies in the most unoriginal way--with Ranch dressing. They love soups and I have a few favorites that have a good dose of the "green" stuff in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have always loved veggies, particularly broccoli, zucchini and yellow squash. That said, they also know that they're not going away, meaning, before they can have seconds on whatever the carb item on the plate is, usually pasta in some form, they must finish their veggies first, particularly if it looks as if the carb item is just an excuse not to eat the veggies. I also try to make sure the veggie is as fresh as possible-that seems to ensure that they're getting the most out of the flavor of the vegetable (farmers market, if possible). It's really important to me that they know waht it's really supposed to taste like if it's (almost) straight out of the ground...best flavor, etc...it's also a cool thing for them if they can meet the growers of the veggies from the market. This is rarely the case for us, just an ideal i aspire to, and when it happens, it's great!

    Case in point, Joshua's 4 grade class went to Ruby and Amber Farm in Cottage Grove for a field trip three years ago, then Sasha's class this last year. I became very friendly with the farmers and found out they have a booth at the market. So, a few weeks later when we went, we deliberately went to their booth where the kids could say hello, and bought new potatoes and beans and beans from them. That night we took them home, cooked them and it was quite a conversation as they had been to the place it had been grown (of course our own back yard would be great too...my garden is non existent...). i felt like they really appreciated what they were eating when they knew exactly where it came from. Again, always just an ideal to strive for.

    We love soups as well, and it's a great place to load up on all the green stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog idea. Thanks Meg! YOU are a gem! As for veggies...do they have a choice? At our house, if you want dessert, you must eat your dinner...which includes the veggies! I'm sure you guys all do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete